Motherhood, Mood Disorders and Anxiety:
Before, During and After Pregnancy
June 22, 2010
University of Minnnesota
Continuing Education & Conference Center
1890 Buford Avenue, St. Paul
Registration 8:30 a.m.
Conference 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Keynote Address, Wendy N. Davis, Ph.D. -
Developing Support Networks and Treatment Pathways
Dr. Davis has a counseling and consulting practice, specializing in perinatal mental health and recovery. She is the Program Director for Postpartum Support International (PSI). She will share the importance of reducing shame and fear for families who need to reach out for help.
Sponsors: NAMI Minnesota, University of Minnesota School of Social Work, UCare, Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare at U of M School of Social Work
* Develop an increased understanding of the causes, symptoms and treatment of postpartum depression and other mood disorders and the consequences of not treating them
* Understand the effect of poverty and racism on mothers and culturally appropriate responses
* Recognize the risks for mood disorders and learn appropriate screening tools
* Learn the importance of early attachment
* Empathize with the experience of both mothers and fathers
* Improve the outcomes of women and children
* Understand the impact of birth trauma on postpartum experience
* Develop an increased understanding of OCD and PTSD
Speakers: Maureen Campion, M.S., L.P., Wendy Davis, Ph.D., Benita Dieperink, M.D., Marla Lukes Dorsey, Jefferey L. Edleson, Ph.D., Ruth Ener, RN, Anne R. Gearity, Ph.D., Randy Gibbs, Linda Jones, Ph.D. Helen Kim, M.D. Ericka Kimball, MSW, LGSW, Traci LaLiberte, Ph.D., Sarina LaMarche, Monica Mandell, Ph.D., L.P., Debra E. McLaughlin, Kelly Nordstrom, Krista Post, M.A., L.P., Akhmiri Sekhr-Ra, Jill Simon, MSW, LICSW, IMH-E® (IV), Matthea Little Smith, Annie Strange, Suzanne Swanson, Ph.D., L.P., Michelle Wiersgalla, M.D., Barbara Yawn, M.D.
Cost: $100, Students $30, limited number of scholarships,
Exhibit booths $100, $50 nonprofits, free CEUs.
Special fee for child welfare workers if you register through the Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare, at http://www.cehd.umn.edu/ssw/cascw/.
To Register: Call NAMI at 612-645-2948, 1-888-NAMI-Helps, or go to www.nami.helps.org.